As we slowly approach the months of March, April and May, the anticipation of soaring hot temperatures across the country leaves all new parents with the burning question of how to keep their baby healthy and happy during the summer heat.
The hot temperatures are not easy on anyone but especially takes a toll on your precious little angels. Read on for a few suggestions on how to combat common issues like dehydration, diaper rash, heat rash and loss of appetite.
- During the hot months, the time period from about 11am to about 2pm tends to be the worst when it comes to heat. Try to avoid being outdoors during this time as much as possible. Schedule all your appointments and outings with the baby either earlier on in the day or later on in the evening.
- Keep your baby hydrated at all times! If your baby is about a year or more of age, consult your doctor first and maybe give them a cooling fruit or vegetable to suck on.
- Baby skin is super sensitive therefore it is important to keep it moisturized at all times, especially during the heaty weather. We recommend using a gentle soap such as the Rebecca Lee Herbal Soap followed by the Rebecca Lee Herbal Cream to keep babies skin hydrated and safe.
- Keep bugs and mosquitoes away from your baby's delicate skin by using a natural or organic bug spray.
- If you are heading outdoors with your baby, make sure to cover his or her body, arms and legs with sufficient clothing. Don’t forget to put on a sunhat to protect their heads and neck from the sun!
- Do not leave your baby in a parked car. This goes without saying but refrain from doing this even if it’s a quick pitstop. Cars can heat up very quickly and cause your newborn to suffer from a heat stroke.
- Nappy rash is a very common problem during the hot summer weather. We recommend using a specially formulated product such as the Rebecca Lee Nappy Rash cream to sooth your precious littles ones irritated skin.
- Loose clothes are the way to go, especially in hot weather! Pick outfits that your precious bundle of joy feels comfortable in. Loose clothes allow the skin to stay hydrated which can help prevent irritating nappy rash and prickly heat.
- Heat rashes are extremely common during warm weather. Keep your baby comfortable by using a talc to soothe baby skin. We recommend using the only products in Sri Lanka that have been specially formulated to tackle prickly heat: the Rebecca Lee Prickly Heat Soap followed by the Rebecca Lee Prickly Heat Talc, for best results. The Rebecca Lee Core Baby Talc enriched with Vitamin E is also another great option to keep your baby’s skin nourished and moisturized throughout the day.
- Close the windows and curtains to keep your baby’s room cool during the day. You can use a fan to make sure the room is well ventilated.
- During the heaty months, consider keeping the baby’s night clothes to a minimum. Instead of a onesie or pajamas, consider putting them in just a nappy with a small blanket.
- Always keep cool water on hand. Use a small towel with the cold water and dab your baby’s neck and face to keep them cool when needed.
- When taking your baby for outings, try to take homemade juices with you so you can keep your little one hydrated throughout the day.
- Avoid covering your babies car seat, pram and stroller with a blanket to keep them cool. Even though it might help keep your baby out of direct heat, over time the material will become extremely warm causing them to overheat.