As parents of babies and toddlers, we are commonly on the lookout for wholesome, chemical-free food that can provide our littles ones with all the essential vitamins and nutrients for healthy brain and body development.
While it is convenient to get commercially made baby food from the store, making your own food at home is more affordable, nutritious and easier than you think.
Read below for a list of recipes made with easy to find ingredients and tools, to get you whipping up some delicious baby food that your little bundle of joy is going to love and enjoy!
Apple Rice Porridge (6 months +)
- 3 Tbsp Rice
- 1 small Apple
- 1 ½ cups Water
- ¼ tsp Ghee
- Wash the apple and peel the skin off. Remove the seeds along with the center and cut the apple into small chunks.
- Use a food processor and blend the apple till you get a smooth puree.
- Dry roast the rice on low flame till it's puffy.
- Grind into a powder.
- Cook the powder for about 6 minutes or until well cooked.
- Add the apple puree to the rice mixture and mix well. Cook for another 4 minutes and then add Ghee.
- Let the porridge cool down before feeding it to your baby.
Chicken and Apple Mix (9-12 months+)
- 150g boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 small Apple cut, peeled and cored
- 3 tsp apple juice
- Boil the chicken breast in a pan, till fully cooked through. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve the water that the chicken was cooked in.
- Cut up cooked chicken into small pieces.
- Blend the apple in a food processor until it is a smooth paste.
- Mix the apple mixture with the chicken.
- Add a little bit of the cooking water to achieve the desired consistency.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Puree (9 months +)
- 150g boneless chicken breast
- 300g peeled sweet potato
- Cook the chicken breast in a saucepan till fully cooked through. This should take about 20 minutes.
- In another pan, cook the sweet potato by adding water and boiling it for about 30 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes and reserve the cooking water.
- Mash the sweet potatoes.
- Grind the chicken in a food processor
- Mix the Chicken and mashed Sweet Potato then add a little bit of the cooking water to achieve the desired consistency.
Green Gram Porridge (8 months +)
- ½ cup Green Gram
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- Jaggery ¼ cup
- Ghee 2 Tbsp
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Wash the Green Gram thoroughly. Add it to a bowl and let it soak overnight.
- Drain the water and place the gram in a pressure cooker with a little salt, then add enough water & cook it on medium-low flame.
- Add the cooked Green gram to a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Heat a pan and add the jaggery and cardamom. Pour water till the jaggery is submerged and cook till it's melted.
- Add the Green Gram mixture to the jaggery and mix well.
- Boil everything on low heat for about 3 minutes, then add the Ghee.
- Give it another mix.
Avocado Banana mix (7-9months +)
- 3Tsp Lemon Juice
- Peel the Bananas.
- Clean the Avocado, take the seed out and scoop the flesh out with a spoon.
- Add Bananas and Avocado into a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Mix in the Lemon Juice and stir.
Whitefish, Carrot and Leek Puree ( 9 to 12 months)
- 150gFish Fillet
- 3 ½Carrots, chopped
- 1Leek, chopped
- ½cup Formula or Breast Milk
- Add a cup of water to a saucepan and boil over medium heat. Add the fish, leeks& carrots into a steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Add everything to a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Pour in the formula or breast milk and blend again.